Credit to Lilla on August 21, 2008
This is a really good and easy recipe. The golden flax seeds and walnuts give it almost a buttery taste and it’s so rich in omega essential fatty acids – much more tasty than a fish oil capsule!
- 2 medium sweet red bell peppers
- 1.25 cups walnuts (soaked 1-2 hours in water)
- 1/4 cup golden flax seeds (do not soak before grinding)
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 t sea salt
1) Remove seed and stem from bell peppers and pulse into small pieces in a food processor.
2) Pulse walnuts into small pieces in food processor.
3) Grind golden flax seeds into powder in a coffee bean grinder.
4) Combine all ingredients. Add water if too dry to hold together. Taste and adjust salt.
5) Spread thinly on teflex sheet. (I put another teflex sheet on top and rolled out with a glass.)
6) Remove top teflex sheet if you used it to roll out dough. Dehydrate at 105F.
7) When dry enough to hold together, put a screen over top and flip crackers.
Place screen back in dehydrator until crackers reach desired crispness.
Great as a side with salads. You can also double this recipe and spread on two teflex sheets. More to share and enjoy without guilt!
Lilla uses an Excalibur dehydrator. But if you don’t have one, you can try setting your oven to the lowest possible temperature and propping the door open (although this is obviously a waste of energy.) She also advises to invest in a good oven thermometer so you can monitor the temperature.